Why Emergency Nursing?
Thank you for your interest in emergency nursing, the nursing specialty that encompasses caring for patients of all age groups and conditions, from delivering babies and resuscitating trauma arrests to administering medication. The pace of emergency nursing also varies from slow to hyperdrive, and it can change within minutes.
Is emergency nursing right for me?
If you like variety and complexity, emergency nursing has it. Some personal characteristics that will serve you well as an emergency nurse include:
- Ability to shift gears and accelerate your pace as needed
- Good observation, assessment, and prioritization skills
- Multi-tasking ability
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills
- Good personal coping skills
- Assertive patient advocate
- Ability to maintain calm amidst chaos
- Good sense of humor
- Ability to think fast and on your feet